Hippity Hoppity Popcorn Bunnies
- 5 quarts popped popcorn
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 24 large gumdrops
- Wooden picks
- Candies (Lifesavers and licorice drops)
- 2 black licorice strings
- Keep popcorn warm in a 300 degrees F oven.
- In a heavy medium saucepan, combine sugar, water, corn syrup, salt and vinegar.
Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves; clip candy thermometer to pan. Cook syrup to 250 degrees F (hard-ball stage);
remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- Pour syrup in thin stream over popcorn, tossing to coat kernels evenly.
- Butter or dampen hands: quickly shape glazed popcorn into 7 or 8 egg-shape
forms for bunny bodies, about 6 inches long each.
- With a rolling pin, roll 15 to 16 gumdrops on a sugared board until flat.
Cut 7 or 8 pairs of rabbit ears from gumdrops; insert wooden picks at one end and stick 1 pair into head end of each popcorn
- Use Lifesavers or licorice drops for eyes, gumdrop "trimmings"
for noses and mouths, and several short pieces of licorice strings for whiskers; attach to bunny faces with a little hot corn
syrup. For tails, secure remaining gum drops to bunnies with wooden picks.
Yield: about 8 bunnies
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.