Serve this baklava immediately after cooling. The pastry will become soggy
as it sits.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained, 1/3 cup juice reserved
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Filling: Mix together cream cheese, ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup sugar,
egg yolks and lemon peel. Stir in pineapple.
- Pastry: On a floured surface, unfold phyllo sheets so that they lie flat. Cover
sheets with plastic wrap and a damp cloth to prevent pastry from drying out.
- Place 4 phyllo sheets in prepared pan, brushing each sheet with some melted
butter. Spoon filling evenly over pastry. Layer remaining phyllo sheets over
filling, brushing each sheet with remaining melted butter. Fold edges under.
- Bake baklava until golden, 30 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool
- In a saucepan, cook remaining sugar and reserved pineapple juice over low
heat until just thickened, 5 minutes.
- Brush pineapple mixture over baklava.
Yield: 2 dozen
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.