Tantalizing Tangerine Tart
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 8 small tangerines
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
Topping and Garnish
- 4 (11 ounce) cans mandarin orange segments, drained and patted dry
- Candied orange peel strips
- Sprigs of fresh mint
- Tart: In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar and lemon peel.
- Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut butter into flour mixture until coarse crumbs form.
- Add egg, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork until a soft dough
forms. Shape into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 45 minutes.
- Filling: Squeeze juice from tangerines; strain juice. Grate peel
from 4 tangerines.
- In a medium saucepan, cook tangerine juice, sugar and tangerine peel over
medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Stir in butter, egg yolks and eggs. Reduce heat to low; cook filling, stirring
constantly, until thickened, 15 minutes.
- Chill completely.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Press dough into bottom and up sides of a 14 x 4-inch tart pan with a removable
bottom. Prick several times with a fork. Line with aluminum foil; fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake crust for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and weights. Bake until golden, 15 minutes more. Transfer pan
to a wire rack to cool completely. Remove sides of pan.
- Pour filling into prepared crust; smooth top.
- Topping and Garnish: Arrange orange segments over
filling. Garnish with candied orange peel strips and mint sprigs.
Yield: 6 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.