Chia Energy Bars
These bars can easily be made vegan. Mix 1 tablespoon of the flaxseed meal (listed
in the dry ingredients) with 3 tablespoons of water in a separate dish and allow
to rest for 10 minutes, until the mixture becomes gel-like. Substitute this mixture
for the egg in your recipe.
These delicious bars are gluten-free.
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
- 1/4 cup whole flax meal
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 cup dried fruit, nuts, etc.
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup peanut (or almond) butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt*
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* If you're using salted peanut butter, reduce the salt in the recipe to 1/8 teaspoon.
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease an 8" x 8" pan, or line it with
- Toss together the oats, quinoa, flaxseed meal, chia seeds, dried fruit,
and egg white in a medium-mixing bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Warm the honey, nut butter, salt, and cinnamon in a small saucepan over
medium heat, stirring constantly until well blended. Don't let it boil, just let it get warm and fluid enough to blend
easily with the dry ingredients, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour the honey mixture over the dry ingredients and mix until everything
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake the bars for 23 to 25 minutes, or until the oats on the edges start
to turn golden brown.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool completely before serving.
- To serve, cut into squares.
Hands-on time: 17 mins. to 24 mins.
Baking time: 23 mins. to 25 mins.
time: 40 mins. to 49 mins.
Yield: 9 bars
nutrition information: Serving Size: 78g, 1 bar Servings Per Batch: 9 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285 Calories from Fat: 111 Total Fat: 12g Saturated
Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 118mg Total Carbohydrate: 38g
Dietary Fiber: 6g Sugars: 21g Protein: 9g
* The nutrition information provided for this recipe is determined by the ESHA
Genesis R&D software program. Substituting any ingredients may change the posted
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
King Arthur Flour
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.