Sweet and Salty Almond Trail Bars
These are like a grown-up version of crispy rice treats – without all the sugar. They’re great in lunch boxes or as a snack when camping or hiking.
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups puffed brown rice
- 1/2 cup puffed millet
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or blueberries
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Generously grease an 8-inch square baking pan or line with foil.
- Cut the chilled bars 4 x 4 and serve them from the pan or take them out and
store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
- In a small saucepan on the stove, combine almond butter, agave nectar, brown
sugar, butter and salt over medium-high heat. When they have melted and combined,
pour into a large bowl.
- Add puffed brown rice, millet, almonds, raisins, cranberries and chocolate chips.
Stir the mixture together. The chocolate chips will melt slightly.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan and press down, using waxed paper to help
compact the ingredients evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate the bars for at least one hour.
Serves: 16; Serving Size: One bar
Nutritional Info: Calories: 158 Fiber: 2 g Fat: 9 g Cholesterol: 4 mg Sat
Fat: 2 g Sodium: 75 mg Mono Fat: 5 g Calcium: 45 mg Poly Fat: 2 g Magnesium: 41
mg Protein: 3 g Potassium: 146 mg Carb: 19 g Vitamin E: 3 mg
Recipe and photo credit: Almond Board of California.