Basic Dressing with Variations
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Mix 1 ripe, peeled and mashed avocado with Basic Dressing. Add 1/4 teaspoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.
This is great on sliced tomatoes.
Blue Cheese Dressing
- Add 3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese to Basic Dressing.
- Add 1 finely chopped hardboiled egg, 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh beet and 1/2 cup finely chopped onion to Basic Dressing.
- Add 1/4 cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons bacon bits and 1/4 teaspoon minced parsley to Basic Dressing.
This is great with seafood.
- Using Basic Dressing, substitute 1/4 cup lemon juice for vinegar. Add 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, and a dash of hot pepper sauce.
This is super on seafood.
- Add 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard to Basic Dressing.
- Using Basic Dressing, substitute wine vinegar. Add 1/3 cup ketchup, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon minced onion and 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt.
- Add 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, 1 teaspoon crushed, dried leaf thyme, 1/4 teaspoon crushed, dried basil, 1/4 teaspoon crushed, dried rosemary and 1/4 teaspoon crushed, dried oregano to Basic Dressing.
Use as a meat marinade, also.
- Using Basic Dressing, substitute 1/4 cup lemon juice for vinegar. Add 1/4 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.
This is great with antipasto.
- Add 1 tablespoon bacon bits, 1 teaspoon onion salt and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder to Basic Dressing.
This is wonderful on spinach salad.
- Add and blend 1/4 cup honey, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt and 1/4 teaspoon celery seed to Basic Dressing.
- Garnish salad with orange sections.
From the Family Recipes Collection of Linda Jolly and Lisa Stephens.