Mexican Bean Soup Mix in a Jar
- 3/4 cup each dried pinto and red kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup small-cut pasta
- Beans: Put beans into a 1-quart jar with lid.
- Flavor Packet: Put ingredients into a sandwich-size plastic bag. Seal bag
with tie or ribbon.
- Do the same with the rice and pasta. Place in jar with beans.
- Type or print the recipe neatly on a small card, punch a hole in the corner, and attach with a ribbon to the jar.
Mexican Bean Soup
Rinse and pick over beans. Put into a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot with 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover and remove from heat. Let sit 1 hour.
Drain beans and return to pot. Add 8 cups water and contents of flavor packet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour or until beans are firm-tender (time will vary depending on age of beans). Stir in rice and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
Uncover, stir in pasta and 1/2 cup water. Simmer 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.