New Year's Day Chili Mix in a Basket
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion
- 2 teaspoons beef-flavored bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 small basket
- Place beans in an airtight plastic bag; set aside.
- Combine instant minced onion and next 3 ingredients; place in
a small airtight plastic bag and, if desired, in a decorative
paper bag, and label "Flavoring Packet."
- Combine chili powder and oregano, ground red pepper and bay
leaf; place in a small airtight plastic bag and, if desired,
in a decorative paper bag, and label "Seasoning Packet."
- Place the bag of beans, flavoring packet, seasoning packet,
and the two cans in a small basket.
- Attach a pretty ribbon and a gift tag with the following recipe.
New Year's Day Chili
Packet of beans
7 cups water
1 pound ground beef
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
Sort and wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with
water and let soak for 8 hours.
Drain beans. Combine beans, flavoring packet and water in a
large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer
1 hour stirring occasionally.
Stir in ground beef, cooked and drained, tomato sauce, tomato
paste and seasoning packet. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and
simmer, uncovered 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove
and discard bay leaf.
Yield: 11 cups
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.