Sun-Dried Tomato and Penne
Soup Mix in a Jar
- 2 cups penne pasta
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms (or other dried mushrooms)
- 1/4 cup onion flakes
- 1/4 cup parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried crushed thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried minced basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Soup Mix: Layer ingredients into a quart home canning jar in the order given. Adjust
cap. Prepare Bouquet Garni.
- Bouquet Garni: Combine herbs in a bowl and gently stir to blend. Place herb mixture
in the center of a 5 x 5-inch square of cheesecloth. Bring corners together to form
a bag and secure with a piece of white cotton string, or use a muslin spice bag.
Tie Bouquet Garni to jar of Sun-Dried Tomato and Penne Soup Mix.
- Attach Bouquet Garni and recipe card to neck of jar.
Sun-Dried Tomato and Penne Soup
Contents of jar
8 cups vegetable broth
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced Roma tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can cannelloni beans
1/4 cup Madeira or other sweet white wine, optional
Salt and pepper
Combine soup mix, Bouquet Garni, vegetable broth and tomatoes in a 6- to 8-quart
saucepot. Simmer, covered, until pasta and vegetables are tender. Stir in cannelloni
beans and wine, if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Continue simmering
for 15 minutes. Remove Bouquet Garni.
If there is not enough liquid in soup, add additional vegetable broth or
If you want to grow your own tomatoes, you can easily make sun dried ones and
store them in oil. Growing a few tomato plants would definitely make this recipe
cost less and taste great!
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.