Lemon-Oregano Grilled Turkey
Fresh lemons, oregano and garlic lend a Greek note to this flavorful grilled
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 medium lemons
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 1 bunch fresh oregano leaves
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Cooking spray for grill
- 1 (12-14 pound) fresh or frozen whole turkey
- Combine oil, the juice of 2 of the lemons, onions, 1 tablespoon chopped
oregano, 2 cloves of the garlic and pepper in blender or food processor container;
cover. Blend until smooth. Pour into small bowl; set aside.
- Spray cold grate of outdoor grill with cooking spray. Prepare grill for
medium indirect heat.
- Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey; discard or
refrigerate for another use. Drain juices from turkey; pat turkey dry with paper
towels. Turn wings back to hold neck skin against back of turkey. Untuck legs.
Loosen skin over breast and legs of turkey by gently sliding 1 hand under skin.
Cut 1 of the remaining lemons and the 2 remaining garlic cloves into thin slices.
Arrange under turkey skin with half of the oregano bunch. Return legs to tucked
- Cut the remaining lemon into quarters; place in body cavity of turkey. Add
head of garlic and the remaining half of the oregano bunch. Spoon or brush some
of the lemon juice mixture evenly over turkey.
- Place turkey, breast up, on grill grate over drip pan. Cover grill with
lid. Grill 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hours, or until meat thermometer inserted deep in
thigh reaches 180 degrees F, basting with more lemon juice mixture after each
- Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving.