Lemon-Oregano Grilled Turkey
Fresh lemons, oregano and garlic lend a Greek note to this flavorful grilled
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 medium lemons
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 1 bunch fresh oregano leaves
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Cooking spray for grill
- 1 (12-14 pound) fresh or frozen whole turkey
- Combine oil, the juice of 2 of the lemons, onions, 1 tablespoon chopped
oregano, 2 cloves of the garlic and pepper in blender or food processor container;
cover. Blend until smooth. Pour into small bowl; set aside.
- Spray cold grate of outdoor grill with cooking spray. Prepare grill for
medium indirect heat.
- Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey; discard or
refrigerate for another use. Drain juices from turkey; pat turkey dry with paper
towels. Turn wings back to hold neck skin against back of turkey. Untuck legs.
Loosen skin over breast and legs of turkey by gently sliding 1 hand under skin.
Cut 1 of the remaining lemons and the 2 remaining garlic cloves into thin slices.
Arrange under turkey skin with half of the oregano bunch. Return legs to tucked
- Cut the remaining lemon into quarters; place in body cavity of turkey. Add
head of garlic and the remaining half of the oregano bunch. Spoon or brush some
of the lemon juice mixture evenly over turkey.
- Place turkey, breast up, on grill grate over drip pan. Cover grill with
lid. Grill 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hours, or until meat thermometer inserted deep in
thigh reaches 180 degrees F, basting with more lemon juice mixture after each
- Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.