Kitchen Hints and Tips
Slow Cooker (Crock Pot)
Breads and Cakes
- Do not add water to the slow cooker unless it specifically says to in the
- Do not over-beat breads and cakes. Follow all recommended mixing times.
- For ideal results, use a 3-5 quart slow cooker and fill stoneware with ingredients
at 1/2 to 3/4 full.
- After breads and cakes have finished cooking, allow them to cool for 5 minutes
before removing them from the cake pan.
- To keep condensation from dripping down into your slow cooker contents,
simply place a white paper towel on top of the slow cooker, then put the lid
on. The paper towel absorbs the condensation, and it will not water down your
- Milk, cream and sour cream should be added during the last 15 minutes of
- Condensed soups may be substituted for milk and can cook for extended times.
- Fish is delicate and should be stirred in gently during the last 15-30 minutes
of cooking time, unless the recipe indicates otherwise. Cook on high until just
cooked through and serve immediately.
- Shellfish can overcook easily. For ideal results, cook on high heat setting
and add shellfish during the last 15-30 minutes of cook time.
- Add at least 1 cup of warm liquid to the stoneware before placing frozen
meat in the stoneware. Do not preheat the slow cooker.
- Cook recipes containing frozen meats for an additional 4 to 6 hours on low,
or an additional 2 hours on high.
Herbs and Spices
- For ground and/or dried herbs and spices, add half the amount of dried herbs
and spices at the beginning of the cooking cycle, then taste and adjust seasonings
toward the end of the cooking cycle.
- Use chili powder and garlic powder sparingly as these can sometimes intensify
over longer cook times.
- Taste the dish at the end of cook cycle and correct seasonings, including
salt and pepper.
- Fresh herbs are best when added to the finished dish, not during the cooking
cycle. If added at the beginning of the cooking cycle, many fresh herbs’ flavor
will dissipate over long cook times. For dishes with shorter cook times, hearty,
fresh herbs, such as rosemary and thyme will hold up well.
Liquids (Water, Stock, Wine)
- Usually it iss not necessary to use more than 1/2 - 1 cup of liquid since
juices in meats and vegetables are retained more in slow cooking than in conventional
- You can reduce excess liquid by slow cooking on the stovetop, removing meat
and vegetables from stoneware or stirring in cornstarch, tapioca or tapioca
powder and setting the slow cooker to high approximately 15 minutes until juices
- Brown or sear meats in a skillet prior to adding to slow cooker. This will
create greater depth of flavor to any dish as well as melt out fat that can
be poured off before slow cooking.
- Pasta should be cooked al dente, then added to the slow cooker for the last
hour of cooking.
- Seafood should be added in the last hour of cooking time, unless the recipe
- Most vegetables should be thinly sliced or placed near the sides or bottom
of the stoneware. Meats generally cook faster than most vegetables in a slow
- Pitted olives should be added at the end of the cooking cycle.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.