LuAnn's Asian Quinoa and
Vegetable Salad with Tofu
I could eat this salad for breakfast, lunch, and supper!
- 1 1/2 cup quinoa, well rinsed in a fine mesh strainer
- 1 (16 ounce) package extra firm water-packed tofu (found in refrigerated cases), drained, then cut into 1/3-inch cubes
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons McKay’s vegetarian chicken-style instant broth and seasoning
- 3 large carrots, coarsely shredded
- 2 large celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 3 to 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos (or reduced sodium soy sauce)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar (or honey)
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder (or 3 cloves garlic, minced)
- Dash ground ginger (optional)
Last Minute Add-Ins (optional)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- In a medium saucepan, combine the well-rinsed quinoa, tofu cubes, water and chicken-style seasoning; bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until the quinoa seeds are nearly translucent and the curly germ has lifted from the body of the seeds. (Not all of the liquid will be absorbed.)
- Meanwhile, place the prepared vegetables in a medium mixing non-aluminum mixing bowl, preferably with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add the dressing ingredients, then stir until the vegetables and dressing are well combined.
- When the quinoa is done, transfer to a fine meshed strainer; rinse under gently running cold water until cooled, then shake the colander gently to drain well.
- Gently fold the quinoa and tofu into the vegetable and dressing mixture until well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate the salad until ready to serve.
- If desired, just before serving, add the sesame seeds and/or cilantro, then stir gently to redistribute the dressing.
Recipe by LuAnn Bermeo, author of Amazing Meals I and II, a two-volume collection of family-approved, plant-based recipes