Butterscotch Pecan Sandies
- 3 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/3 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg*
- 1 cup roasted salted chopped pecans
- 1 cup butterscotch chips**
* For vegan variation, replace the egg with 1 1/2 tablespoons EnerG Egg Replacer whisked into 2 tablespoons water.
** For vegan variation, omit the butterscotch chips (which are not vegan).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment.
- Combine flour and soda in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter, sugar, salt and vanilla extract on medium speed until light.
- Beat in egg until fluffy.
- Reduce speed to low, add flour one cup at a time, just until combined.
- Stir in pecans and butterscotch chips.
- With a small scoop or 2 teaspoons, form small balls of dough less than one inch in diameter. Place on parchment lined baking sheets, allowing 2 inches between cookies. Flatten balls with the bottom of a glass to about 1/4 inch in height.***
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until brown around edges but tops are still pale.
- Transfer to racks to cool. Store in airtight container.
*** LuAnn bakes these by rolling the dough into a log, wrapping in wax paper and refrigerating until the dough is firm. When firm, cut the log into 1/4-inch slices.
Adapted by LuAnn from www.guittard.com.