LuAnn's Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
with Pecans and Coconut (dairy- and egg-free)
- 1 (2-layer size) Original Butter Recipe cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup firm silken tofu
- 1/4 pound non-dairy buttery spread (1 stick), melted (1/2 cup) (I use Earth Balance)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (check bag to avoid milk or milkfat)
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted pecans, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a large baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the cake mix, oats, tofu, melted margarine and vanilla and almond extracts in the mixing bowl of an electric mixer. Beat until well mixed.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, coconut, and pecans.
- Using a small-capacity ice cream-type scoop, drop mounds of dough approximately 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place pan in the center of the preheated oven. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until set.
- Cool cookies on pan for several minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
Recipe by LuAnn Bermeo, author of Amazing Meals I and II, a two-volume collection of family-approved, plant-based recipes; adapted from Amazing Meals, volume II.