Chewy bites of coconut and dried apricot are perfectly complemented by a dash of almond extract. (LuAnn notes, try adding some sliced or slivered almonds to these.).Any reason I couldn't add some sliced or slivered almonds to these? - LuAnn
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon pure almond extract (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14-ounce) package sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup soft dried apricots, coarsely chopped (3 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites, sugar, almond extract (if using), and salt until frothy. Add coconut and apricots (and almonds, if using); mix to combine.
- Using your hands, shape mixture into mounds, each equal to 2 level tablespoons; place 1/2 inch apart on prepared baking sheet (macaroons will not spread).
- Bake until lightly golden, 35 to 40 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through.
- Transfer macaroons to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 1 week.
Yield: 20 macaroons
Martha Stewart Living magazine, 2010; posted by LuAnn B. a.k.a. "Tofu Queen."