LuAnn's Family Favorites Recipes
Luann's Corn Chowder
(Reduced Fat and Dairy-free)
- 2 cups water
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 2 large potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and diced in 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups fresh or frozen sweet corn kernels
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 4 cups unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 tablespoon trans-fat free margarine-type spread
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, onion, celery, potatoes, corn, sugar, and salt; bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- When the vegetables are tender, transfer about 2 cups of the mixture to a blender or food processor container. Add the soy milk and flour, then blend or process until completely smooth. Return the pureed mixture to the saucepan.
- Stir in the creamed corn, margarine-type spread, parsley, and black pepper; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly to prevent sticking, then continue cooking and stirring for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve hot with saltine crackers, if desired.
Recipe by LuAnn Bermeo, author of Amazing Meals I and II, a two-volume collection of family-approved, plant-based recipes