LuAnn's Fajita Pizza
LuAnn's Fajita Pizza is a VERY loose adaptation of a "Pampered Chef" recipe. It is quick and easy enough to "throw together" for supper, and my family of 8 is HAPPY when I do so! It is also beautiful and special enough to serve to company, either as an appetizer or main dish, and I have done also done that to "rave reviews." I demonstrated it at a heart healthy cooking class, and the people there liked it very well as well.
- 2 pizza crusts (I used whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 sweet peppers (1 each of green, red, orange and yellow), cut into strips
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 4 teaspoons Fajita Seasoning Mix (homemade preferred, see recipe below)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn (no salt preferred)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced fat cheddar cheese (I used 1 cup each soy and light Monterey Jack-colby combination), 2 cups shredded
Homemade Fajita Seasoning Mix
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoons "Bakon Seasoning" (hickory smoke style)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Set out pizza shells on pizza pans.
- In a large skillet with lid, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute peppers, onions and garlic until tender- crisp. Stir in fajita seasoning mix (see recipe); cook an additional 1 - 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, stir together salsa, corn and black beans. Spread half of sauce mixture on each pizza shell. Top each with half the sauteed pepper and onion mixture and half the cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes, or until crust is crisp and cheese is melted and just beginning to brown. If desired, top with guacamole and fat free or soy "sour cream." (Not included in nutrition analysis).
Yield: 2 pizzas; 16 servings
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 154 calories; 2g fat (11.5% calories from fat); 10g protein; 25g carbohydrate; 6g dietary fiber; 3mg cholesterol; 328mg sodium
Exchanges: 1 grain (starch); 1 lean meat; 1 vegetable; 0 fat; 0 other carbohydrates
Posted by LuAnn at recipegoldmine.com (4/19/02 1:56:02 pm).
Source: Original recipe by LuAnn Bermeo