LuAnn's "Green Egg" (Egg and Avocado) Sandwiches
All these sandwiches (named from a “Dr. Seuss” classic) are missing is the “ham”! But, try them with fresh sliced tomatoes and corn or corn tortilla chips and you’ll agree with “Sam I Am,” “I LIKE THEM!”
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and scooped from the skin
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
- 3 large hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash garlic powder
- 3 to 4 shakes of red pepper sauce or a pinch of cayenne pepper
- Butter or margarine
- 8 to 12 slices of whole grain bread
- In a small bowl (if serving later, choose one with an airtight lid), use a fork to mash the avocado. Stir in the lemon juice to prevent the avocado from turning dark.
- Add the remaining filling ingredients; stir to combine. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate until just before serving.
- Just before serving the sandwiches, spread a thin layer of butter on each bread slice.Top half of the slices buttered slices with a generous amount of the filling; cover with the remaining slices. Cut in half diagonally.
- Serve immediately.
- Delicious with fresh sliced tomatoes and and corn or corn tortilla chips.
Yield: 4 to 6 sandwiches
Recipe by LuAnn Bermeo, author of Amazing Meals I and II, a two-volume collection of family-approved, plant-based recipes.