LuAnn's Indian-Spiced Dal
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 4 cups water (+ more as needed)
- 2 cups brown lentils, uncooked, sorted and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can red or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a medium saucepan, preheat oil to medium-high. Sauté the onion in hot oil until beginning to lightly brown.
- Add the water and lentils; bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but not yet disintegrating. Stir occasionally, adding water, if necessary, to prevent the lentils from cooking dry.)
- Stir in the red beans, black-eyed peas, salt and seasonings; increase the heat and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes, adding more water if necessary. (The finished
dish should have the consistency of a thick sauce.)
Recipe by LuAnn Bermeo, author of Amazing Meals I and II, a two-volume collection of family-approved, plant-based recipes.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.