with Creamy Yogurt-Dill Sauce
This recipe uses beets and carrots to make beautiful jewel-toned pancakes, similar to potato pancakes. Serve pancakes topped with dilled yogurt sauce as an appetizer or light main dish.
- 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium beets (about 1-pound), trimmed and scrubbed
- 2 medium carrots (6-ounces), trimmed and scrubbed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg plus 2 large egg whites, beaten
- To make Yogurt-Dill Sauce: In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt, dill, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper together. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
- To make pancakes: Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Using a food processor with a grating blade or a box grater, shred beets and carrots. Place shredded vegetables in a large bowl, then stir in garlic and salt. Stir in the egg and egg whites until well mixed.
- Lightly spray a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray, then heat over medium-high heat.
- Form 4 pancakes in the pan by dropping then mixture by 1/4-cupsful, then flattening slightly to form 3-inch diameter pancakes. (The pancake batter may look "loose" at first but will become more "sturdy" as the pancakes cook). Cook for 4 minutes or until golden brown on the first side, then carefully turn over and cook for 3 more minutes or until the second side is golden brown. Place pancakes in the preheated oven to keep warm.
- Respray pan and repeat, making 4 more pancakes.
- Serve warm pancakes drizzled with prepared Yogurt-Dill Sauce.
Yield: 8 pancakes
Adapted from Vegetarian Times magazine by LuAnn B., a.k.a. "Tofu Queen."
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.