LuAnn's Family Favorites Recipes
Mother's Strawberry Freeze
Icy cold Strawberry Freeze, made from fresh strawberries, is so refreshing on hot days! It was my dessert of choice for my wedding rehearsal supper, served picnic-style in our yard.
- 3 pints fresh strawberries, rinsed well, then hulled
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Choice whole, unhulled strawberries, unhulled
- Orange or lemon slices
- At least one day before serving, in electric blender or food processor, puree of the strawberries with the sugar, orange and lemon juices. (If necessary, do in two batches, using one half of each of the ingredients at a time). Spread the mixture into a 12 x 8 x 2-inch pan.
- Cover the pan, then place in the freezer for several hours, until the mixture is partially frozen.
- When the mixture is partially frozen, spoon into an electric mixer bowl, then beat until smooth. Return the mixture to the pan and place in the freezer again until the mixture is completely frozen.
- About 10 to 15 minutes before serving, remove the pan from the freezer and allow the mixture to soften enough to serve.
- To serve, scoop the mixture into individual serving bowls. If desired, garnish servings with whole strawberries and/or an orange slice.
During strawberry season, Mother would often go out early in the morning and return with crates of strawberries, still glistening with dew. Some were set aside for memorable desserts like her strawberry shortcake and fresh strawberry pies. The rest were frozen, so we could enjoy bowls of field-fresh strawberries during the long winter months!
Vintage, beloved family recipe written and shared by LuAnn Bermeo, author of Amazing Meals I and II, a two-volume set of family-approved plant-based recipes.