Cola not only tenderizes this brisket, it also makes a fabulous gravy, along
with garlic, onion, celery, tomato sauce, and dry onion soup mix.
- 1 (about 4 pounds, 1st or 2nd cut) beef brisket
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup cola
- 1 (1.5 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a roasting pan with foil.
- Rub brisket on both sides with the olive oil. Sprinkle both sides with paprika,
salt, and pepper. Place in the prepared roasting pan. Top with garlic, onion,
- Whisk together tomato sauce, cola, and onion soup mix. Pour over the top
of the vegetables on the brisket. Cover with foil and roast for 2 1/2 to 3 hours,
until very tender. Baste with pan juices every 30 minutes.
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice against the grain and serve with pan juices.
Yield: 8 servings
The brisket may be made a day in advance, sliced and refrigerated. Reheat in
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.