Fall-Apart Beer Brisket
A hearty, comfort food meal with rich flavor.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil 30 mL
- 1 1/2 pounds trimmed beef brisket 750 g
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion (about 1 large onion) 375 mL
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic 10 mL
- 1 bottle (12 ounces/341 mL) dark stout beer
tablespoons cider vinegar 30 mL
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves 7 mL
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves 5 mL
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce 45 mL
- 3 tablespoons
no-salt-added tomato paste 45 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 mL
- 6 multigrain bread
- Heat 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of canola oil in large, nonstick skillet over
medium-high heat. Brown beef 3 minutes on each side.
- Place beef in slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon (15 mL) canola oil, cook onions 4 minutes or
until beginning to brown, stirring frequently.
- Stir in garlic and cook 15 seconds.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in garlic, beer, vinegar, oregano, thyme,
steak sauce, and tomato paste. Stir until well blended and pour over beef in
slow cooker, making sure that beef is covered completely with liquid.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 6 hours.
- Remove beef and place on cutting board. Stir salt into slow cooker mixture.
Thinly slice beef (it will shred automatically as you slice). Return beef to
slow cooker and stir. Cover and let stand 15 minutes to absorb flavours.
- To serve, place strainer in large bowl, strain beef mixture, shaking off
excess liquid and place in serving bowl. Serve juices alongside.
- Place equal amounts of shredded beef on warmed multigrain bread slices (2
oz/60 g per serving) to serve as open-faced sandwiches. Spoon desired amount
of liquid over each.
6 servings; Serving size: 1/2 cup (125 mL) beef, 1/3 cup (75 mL) sauce
Buy beef brisket that weighs almost 2 pounds before trimming as there is quite
a bit of fat to discard.
If a "sliced" brisket is preferred over the shredded variety, cook about 30 minutes
less than recommended above.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving Calories 300 Total Fat 10 g Saturated Fat
2 g Cholesterol 45 mg Carbohydrates 18 g Fiber 3 g Protein 29 g Sodium 500 mg
Reprinted with permission from