Glazed Boiled Beef
- 1 (4 pound) beef brisket
- 2 teaspoons meat tenderizer
- 2 tablespoons celery flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely-ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 20 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- Pierce meat deeply with long-tined fork. Sprinkle meat tenderizer on all
surfaces. Let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Put into deep kettle; add celery flakes, pepper, seasoned salt and 6 to
8 whole cloves. Cover with water. Cover kettle and simmer very slowly 2 hours
or until meat is tender (do not boil).
- Remove meat from broth and place in shallow roasting pan. Score fat in diamond
shapes. Sprinkle lightly with brown sugar and stud with remaining whole cloves.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Slice and serve hot with horseradish or mustard sauce.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings