Wasabi-Beer Braised Brisket
Enjoy the heat of wasabi with the complex flavors of beer in this
beer-braised brisket, thinly sliced and served on a wheat baguette.
- 1 beef brisket flat half (4 to 4-1/2 pounds)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, each cut into 12 wedges
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- Coleslaw (recipe follows)
- 3 whole wheat baguettes, cut into 10 to 12 pieces (4-1/2 to 5 inches each), split
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Press garlic evenly onto all surfaces of beef brisket.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until
hot. Place brisket in skillet; brown evenly. Remove brisket from skillet;
season with salt and pepper.
- Add onions to large stockpot or large
baking pan. Place brisket over onions. Stir in beer and chili sauce; bring
to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly. Continue cooking in 325 degrees F
oven for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare coleslaw.
- Remove brisket; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking
liquid; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Stir in
- Carve brisket diagonally across the grain into thin
slices. Return beef to cooking liquid; keep warm. Divide beef and onions
evenly over roll bottoms; close sandwiches. Serve remaining sauce for
dipping, if desired. Serve with coleslaw.
- Coleslaw: Combine 1/2 cup
rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil, 2 tablespoons toasted
sesame oil, 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger and 2 teaspoons honey in large
bowl. Add 1 package (16 ounces) coleslaw mix and 1 package (8 ounces)
shredded red cabbage; toss to coat. Season with salt, if desired.
Yield: 12 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 519 Calories; 16g Total Fat; 4g
Saturated Fat; 7g Monounsaturated Fat; 59mg Cholesterol; 1005mg Sodium; 51g
Total carbohydrate; 41g Protein; 4.9mg Iron; 7.7mg Niacin; 0.6mg Vitamin B6;
160.1mg Choline; 2.5mcg Vitamin B12; 9.6mg Zinc; 67.5mcg Selenium; 6.9g Fiber
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Cattlemen's Beef Board and National Cattlemen's Beef Association
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Beef Brisket Recipes