Ground Beef Recipes
Hamburger Steaks with Red Wine Onion Gravy
This is a guest-worthy dish. Although the ingredients list looks intimidating for such a simple dish, it really is not.
Yield: 6 to 8 hamburger steaks
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 2 or 3 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- Salt and pepper
- In a large bowl mix ground beef, onion. soup mix and steak seasoning. Pat out loosely 6 to 8 patties, set aside.
- In a large skillet cook bacon until fat has rendered. Add patties and brown both sides. Remove from skillet to a plate.
- Remove all fat from skillet, reserving 2 tablespoons.
- Over medium heat add the reserved fat and one tablespoon butter. Add onion and cook until caramelized.
- Add flour and cook for one minute more.
- Stir in red wine, and then the beef broth. Stirring constantly, add bay leaf, paprika, garlic powder, cumin and coriander. Stir until thickens. Add a little water if too thick. Taste to salt and pepper.
- Add the beef patties to the gravy mixture, cover and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occassionally. Simmer until patties are cooked through.
- Remove patties. Serve with mashed potatoes or brown rice with bacon crumbled over the top.