- 2 cups uncooked instant (10 minute) brown rice
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 each red and yellow bell peppers, cored and cut into strips
- 2 cups bottled marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Bring 1 3/4 cups water to boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand until ready to serve, at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up clumps with a wooden spoon, about 3 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet. Add peppers and saute over high heat for 3 minutes or until lightly charred in a few places. Add sauce and fennel seeds, bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 3 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Stir in beef; heat through. Spoon rice on serving plates, top with beef mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
Shared with recipegoldmine.com by Varanese.