Pineapple-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 8 whole small chicken breasts, boned
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon pimiento, chopped
Sweet-Sour Pineapple Sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can pineapple slices in syrup
- Syrup reserved from crushed pineapple
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons pimento, diced
- Chicken: Place boned chicken breasts skin side down on board.
- Sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Drain pineapple and reserve the syrup for the Sweet-Sour Pineapple Sauce.
- Heat 4 tablespoons butter in skillet; add green bell pepper, celery, onion and
the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat; add the tarragon, bread crumbs, pimiento and the drained pineapple;
- Place about 1/4 cup stuffing mixture in center of each chicken breast; fold the
sides over and fasten with skewer or string.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet.
- Add chicken breasts, four at a time and brown lightly on all sides.
- Remove and place in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes until tender.
- Serve with Sweet-Sour Pineapple Sauce.
- Sweet-Sour Pineapple Sauce: Heat oil in saucepan.
- Add green bell pepper and onion; cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain syrup from pineapple slices and add to saucepan with the syrup reserved
from the crushed pineapple in stuffing.
- Blend cornstarch with water; add to saucepan.
- Add bouillon cube, brown sugar, tarragon, vinegar and soy sauce.
- Cook, stirring constantly until mixture begins to thicken and comes to a boil.
- Cut pineapple slices in half; add to the sauce with the pimiento.
- Heat and serve over the chicken breasts.
Yield: 8 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Baked Chicken Recipes