Chicken Breasts with Blueberry Barbecue Sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup finely minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of ground allspice
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, onion, ginger, allspice, cayenne, ketchup and blueberries in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 11 to 12 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened and is fairly smooth. (Keep the sauce warm over low heat if necessary.)
- Meanwhile, sprinkle the salt and pepper over the chicken.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high. Add the chicken and cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Pour the sauce into the skillet, turn the chicken over to completely coat it, then serve the chicken with the sauce spooned over the top.
Yield: 6 servings
For each serving: 255 calories, 27 g protein 5 gr fat (1gr saturated fat) 66 mg. cholesterol