- 1 (3-pound) chicken
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Gebhardt Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons raisins (optional)
- 8 ripe olives, chopped (optional)
- Cut chicken into serving pieces. Dip into flour, then brown in hot shortening.
- Remove to a large pan.
- Fry onion, green pepper and garlic until brown in remaining hot shortening.
- Add ketchup, water and Gebhardt Chili Powder; boil for 5 minutes. Pour over
- Salt, adding water as needed; cover, allow to simmer until chicken is tender;
about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add raisins and ripe olives 15 minutes before serving.