Apple-Glazed Roast Turkey with Stuffing and Gravy
Apples flavor this turkey from the chopped apple stuffing to the apple juice
and jelly glaze.
- 12 ounces bacon slices, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped dried apples
- 6 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 (16 ounce) package cornbread stuffing crumbs
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup apple jelly
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16-18 pound) Butterball® Fresh or Frozen Whole Turkey, thawed if frozen
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (14-1/2 ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- Stuffing: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook bacon in large skillet until
crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings
in skillet. Set bacon aside.
- Add onion and celery to drippings. Cook over medium-high
heat 15 to 20 minutes or until tender.
- Combine bacon, onion mixture, apples, pecans, thyme and sage. Stir in stuffing
crumbs. Stir in broth and butter. Remove 7 cups of stuffing for stuffing turkey.
Spoon remaining stuffing into 1 1/2-quart baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake covered 30 minutes; uncover and bake 15 minutes.
- Turkey: Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine jelly, juice, vinegar, honey and salt in small, heavy saucepan.
Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced to 1 1/4 cups, about 15
minutes, stirring occasionally. Reserve 1/4 cup mixture for gravy. Set remaining
mixture aside for basting turkey.
- Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey. Refrigerate
for another use or discard. Drain juices from turkey. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Fill neck cavity with part of the stuffing. Turn wings back to hold neck
skin against back of turkey. Fill body cavity with remaining stuffing.
- Place turkey, breast up, on flat roasting rack in shallow roasting pan.
Spray turkey with cooking spray. Place small pieces of aluminum foil over skin
of neck cavity and over stuffing at body cavity opening to prevent over browning
- Brush turkey with some glaze mixture. Loosely cover breast and tops of drumsticks
with aluminum foil to prevent overcooking. Bake 2 hours.
- Uncover turkey breast and brush turkey with additional glaze mixture. Return
foil to top of turkey and continue roasting until meat thermometer inserted
deep in thigh reaches 180 degrees F. Let turkey stand for 15 minutes before
removing stuffing and carving.
- Gravy: Pour drippings into 1-quart measure; skim fat. Whisk in flour until
smooth. Add reserved glaze mixture and enough water or broth to make 3-1/2 cups.
Bring to boil; reduce heat. Simmer 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring
Servings: 14 | Prep Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 3+ hours
Nutrition Facts per serving: Calories 1250 Fat 75g Cholesterol 236 Protein
% Daily Value Saturated Fat 18g 90% Trans Fat 0g 0% Sodium 1500mg 63% Carbohydrates
66g 22% Sugar 30g 0% Iron 15% Fiber 44% Calcium 10%
Recipe and photo credit: Butterball, LLC.
Please SHOP HERE to support this site. We are an Amazon affiliate as a means of paying for the high cost of maintaining Recipe Goldmine. Thank you.