Bacon-Wrapped Turkey with Chipotle and Orange
Want to knock their socks off? Make this bacon-wrapped turkey with a zesty chipotle-orange rub.
How to make a lattice design (weave bacon): Place 5 bacon slices in single layer on sheet of parchment or waxed paper. Weave 5 of the remaining bacon slices through bacon slices on parchment to resemble lattice pattern. Hold 2 opposite corners of parchment, then quickly invert parchment onto turkey; remove parchment. Arrange remaining bacon slices over turkey's legs, thighs and wings.
Food Facts: A 12- to 14- pound frozen turkey needs 3 to 3 1/2 days of thawing time in the refrigerator. The cooking time will range between 3 to 3 3/4 hours until the turkey is done (165 degrees F).
- 1/2 cup KRAFT Zesty Italian Dressing
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup KRAFT Original Barbecue Sauce
- 4 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 (13 pound) fresh or thawed frozen turkey
- 1 orange, cut into wedges
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 (16 ounce) package OSCAR MAYER Bacon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Blend first 4 ingredients in blender until smooth.
- Remove and discard neck and giblets from turkey cavities. Free legs from tucked position. (Do not cut band of skin.) Place oranges and bay leaves in chest cavity. Use rubber spatula or your fingers to loosen skin over breast,
starting at body cavity opening by legs. Rub half the chipotle mixture onto meat under skin on breast, legs and thighs. If necessary, use wooden toothpicks to secure skin at opening. Return legs to tucked position and tie securely with string; turn wings back to hold neck skin in place. Rub remaining chipotle mixture evenly onto turkey skin.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on flat rack in roasting pan. Top with bacon. (See below.) Tent turkey with foil.
- Bake for 4 hours or until turkey is done (165 degrees F), uncovering after 3 hours. Remove turkey from pan; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Meanwhile, pour pan drippings into medium saucepan. Discard excess fat. Mix cornstarch and water until blended; gradually stir into drippings. Bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- Carve turkey. Serve with gravy.
Prep: 30 min | Total: 4 hr 30 min | Yield: 24 servings
nutritional info per serving: Calories 270 Total fat 12 g Saturated fat 3.5 g Cholesterol 135 mg Sodium 450 mg Carbohydrate 3 g Dietary fiber 0 g Sugars 2 g Protein 35 g
Vitamin A 2 %DV Vitamin C 0 %DV Calcium 0 %DV Iron 8 %DV
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Kraft Heinz Company