Bourbon Glazed Roasted Turkey
- 15 pound WHOLE TURKEY, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- As needed salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large tart apple, quartered
- 1/2 cup peach preserves
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 teaspoons Angostura bitters
- As needed pickled peaches, drained
- Remove giblets (discard liver), neck and any visible fat from turkey; reserve
for stock. Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well. Blot dry with
- Sprinkle turkey cavity with salt and pepper. Place quartered apple in cavity.
- Tie drumsticks together and twist wing tips behind back.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a wire roasting rack (sprayed with non-stick
cooking spray) in a shallow hotel pan.
- Roast turkey in a preheated 325 degrees F oven about 3-3/4 hours. Baste with
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, over low heat, combine preserves, bourbon
and bitters. Cook until preserves are melted.
- The last 30 minutes of roasting time, baste bird with bourbon peach glaze.
Continue to roast until the thermometer registers 180 degrees F in the thigh.
- Remove turkey from oven. Discard apple quarters. Allow turkey to rest for
15-20 minutes before carving.
- Garnish with pickled peaches.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
© 2010 National Turkey Federation