Citrus Mustard Basted Turkey
Butter based mixture of Dijon mustard, orange and lemon zest for a new take on
the Thanksgiving favorite.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (14 to 16 pound) Butterball® Fresh or Frozen Whole Turkey, thawed if frozen
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine butter, herbs, zest, mustard, salt and pepper in work bowl of blender
or food processor; cover. Process until well blended.
- Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey. Reserve giblets
for stuffing recipe.
- Drain juices from turkey and dry turkey with paper towels. Turn wings back
to hold neck skin against back of turkey.
- Remove butter mixture from blender. Carefully work fingers under skin on
breast of turkey. Place half the butter mixture under breast area. Rub remaining
butter mixture over breast and legs of turkey.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a flat rack in a shallow baking pan.
- Roast turkey for approximately 1 1/2 hours. Then, cover breast and top of
drumsticks loosely with foil to prevent overbrowning.
- Roast turkey for another 1 1/2 hours, or until meat thermometer reaches
180 degrees F; when inserted into the deepest part of the thigh.
- Let turkey stand for 15 minutes before carving.
Servings 12 | Prep time 25 min | Total time 3+ hr
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories 776 Fat 43g Cholesterol 370 Protein 91g
% Daily value Saturated Fat 15g 0% Trans Fat 0g 0% Sodium 701mg 0% Carbohydrates
1g 0% Sugar 0g 0% Iron 0% Fiber 0% Calcium 0%
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Butterball LLC
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.