Deep-Fried Turkey Rub
- 1 (15 pound) fresh turkey
- 25 medium whole bay leaves
- 3 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons hot Creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 gallons peanut oil
- Wash turkey inside and out under cold running water; pat dry. Finely grind
bay leaves in spice grinder; transfer to small bowl. Finely grind thyme, oregano,
and peppercorn separately; add to bay leaves. Mix in Creole seasoning and garlic powder.
- Rub 1/3 spice mixture on inside of turkey, 1/3 under skin of breasts and
1/3 on outside of turkey; place in roasting pan. Cover; marinate overnight or
up to 24 hours in refrigerator.
- Bring turkey to room temperature. Using a wooden skewer, thread neck flap
securely to bottom of turkey. Fold wing tips under. Using steel or aluminum
wire, truss legs and pope's nose together securely; form a handle with wire.
This will enable you to hold turkey while submerging in hot oil.
- Heat oil in 10-gallon pot with liner basket over high heat until temperature
registers 360 degrees F on a candy/deep-fry thermometer. Holding turkey by handle,
immerse in oil. Maintain temperature at 360 degrees F while frying. Fry until
golden brown, about 45 minutes, or 3 minutes per pound.
- Lift turkey from oil; transfer to a wire rack over a roasting pan. Drain
for 15 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.