Dr Pepper Roast Turkey or Chicken
with Herb Bread Stuffing
- 1 (6 to 8 pound) turkey or chicken
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 quarts (6 cups) bread cubes, 1/2 inch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup Dr Pepper (plus 10 ounces Dr Pepper for basting)
- Rinse turkey or chicken in cold water, pat dry. Remove neck, wing tips,
giblets and simmer in small amount of water to make broth (about 2 cups).
- Melt butter or margarine and sauté onions and celery until tender but not
- Combine bread cubes, salt, pepper, thyme and parsley. Add sautéed vegetables
and toss lightly. Add beaten egg, the 1/2 cup of Dr Pepper, and broth.
- Spoon about 1 cup of the stuffing into the neck cavity. Fasten skin to back
- Spoon stuffing into body cavity (do not pack), close body cavity by skewering
skin together and lacing it closed with heavy string. Tie drumsticks to the tail.
- Place turkey in roaster or pan breast side up and roast at 325 degrees F
for about 3 hours or until done.
- Baste frequently, first pouring from the bottle of Dr Pepper, slowly over
the bird. When all is poured, baste from the liquid in the pan, spooning over the bird at frequent intervals.
Source: Dr Pepper
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.