Holiday Turkey with Giblet Gravy
Classic roast turkey served with giblet gravy.
- 1 Butterball® Fresh or Frozen Whole Turkey, thawed if frozen
- 2 medium onions, each cut into 8 wedges, divided
- 3 medium stalks celery, each cut into thirds, divided
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, halved, divided
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey; set aside.
Drain juices from turkey; pat turkey dry with paper towels. Turn wings back
to hold neck skin against back of turkey. Place half each of the onion, celery,
parsley and garlic inside body cavity of turkey. Place turkey, breast up, on
flat roasting rack in shallow roasting pan; spray with cooking spray.
- Bake for 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 hours, or until meat thermometer reaches 180 degrees
F when inserted in deepest part of thigh, covering breast and tops of drumsticks
with aluminum foil after 2 hours to prevent overcooking of breast.
- Meanwhile, prepare giblet stock while roasting turkey by placing the neck,
heart, gizzard, water, salt and peppercorns in large saucepan. Add the remaining
onion, celery, parsley and garlic; stir. (Reserve the liver for later use or
discard.) Bring just to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover.
Simmer 1 1/2 hours, adding the liver, if desired, for the last 30 minutes of
the cooking time. Strain stock; cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Remove
meat from the neck; discard bones. Finely chop neck meat, heart, gizzard and
liver, if using; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove turkey from pan; let stand for 15 minutes before carving.
- Make giblet gravy by straining pan drippings from turkey into 4-cup glass
measuring cup. Remove fat from drippings. Place 1/4 cup of the fat in medium
saucepan; discard remaining fat. Stir flour into fat in saucepan until well
blended. Add enough of the reserved giblet stock to pan drippings to measure
4 cups; gradually add to the flour mixture, stirring after each addition until
well blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook and
stir until slightly thickened. Stir in the reserved neck meat and giblets; cook
until heated through.
Servings 14 | Prep time 20 min | Total time 3+ hr
Nutrition Facts per serving: Calories 462 Fat 25g Cholesterol 35 Protein
% Daily Value Saturated Fat 5g 0% Trans Fat 0g 0% Sodium 528mg 0% Carbohydrates
42g 0% Sugar 2g 0% Iron 0% Fiber 0% Calcium 0%
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Turkey Recipes