Honey Smoked Turkey
- 1 (10 pound) whole turkey
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons celery salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 (12 ounce) jar honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Remove neck and giblets from turkey. Rinse the bird and pat dry. Place in
a medium grilling pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together sage, ground black pepper, celery salt, basil
and vegetable oil. Drizzle mixture over the turkey. Flip turkey breast side
down in the pan.
- Heat an outdoor grill for high heat. Loosely cover turkey with foil, and
place the pan on the prepared grill.
- Cook approximately 1 hour.
- Place approximately 2 handsful of smoking chips on the fire. Drizzle 1/2
the honey over the bird.
- Continue cooking covered approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until internal
temperature reaches 180 degrees F (80 degrees C).
- Uncover turkey and carefully flip it breast side up in the baking pan. Baste
with remaining honey.
- Continue cooking approximately 15 minutes. The cooked honey will be very
Yield: 12 servings