Quail in Claret
- 2 quail, thoroughly cleaned and split lengthwise
- 1 ounce brandy
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup consommé or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup claret or red Bordeaux wine
- Pinch of celery salt
- Freshly-ground pepper
- Juice of 1 orange, strained
- Rub quail with a cloth soaked in brandy and dust with flour.
- Melt 1/2 butter in skillet and let it brown.
- Add quail and cover, allowing it to cook for 5 minutes on each side.
- In a saucepan, melt remaining butter. When hot, add mushrooms and sauté
- To quail, add mushrooms, consommé, claret, celery salt and pepper. Simmer
gently for about 10 minutes, until quail is tender.
- A minute or two before serving, add orange juice.