This is an official Marine Corps recipe.
Upon joining the United States Marine Corps in the early 1940s, I was introduced
to a breakfast dish that I had never had before. It's called Chopped Beef on
White Toast. Most of us called it S.O.S. ~ Chef Noah H. Belew
- 1 1/2 pounds extra lean hamburger or ground chuck
- 2 tablespoons oleo (margarine) or butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown meat; add butter and stir. Add onions and cook until you can see through
- Add flour, stir and cook for two or three minutes.
- Add garlic, soy sauce, Worcestershire
sauce, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Add milk and stir until thickens.
- Serve over toast or biscuit.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.