This is an official Marine Corps recipe.
Upon joining the United States Marine Corps in the early 1940s, I was introduced
to a breakfast dish that I had never had before. It's called Chopped Beef on
White Toast. Most of us called it S.O.S. ~ Chef Noah H. Belew
- 1 1/2 pounds extra lean hamburger or ground chuck
- 2 tablespoons oleo (margarine) or butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown meat; add butter and stir. Add onions and cook until you can see through
- Add flour, stir and cook for two or three minutes.
- Add garlic, soy sauce, Worcestershire
sauce, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Add milk and stir until thickens.
- Serve over toast or biscuit.