Ham and Egg Casserole
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced*
* If you don't have hard-boiled eggs on hand, start cooking them 5 minutes
before you turn on the oven and allow 15 minutes for cooking.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook,
uncovered, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low. Blend in the flour and slowly add the milk. Cook,
stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the mustard and pepper.
- Pour half of the sauce into an ungreased 1-quart casserole; add a layer
of half of the ham, then a layer of half of the sliced eggs.
- Repeat the layers of ham and eggs, then pour the remaining sauce over top.
- Bake, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly.