Candied Chile Pecans
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsulphured dark molasses
- 2 teaspoons ground dried red chile
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pecan halves
- Heat the oven to 250 degrees F. Grease a 12 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a heavy saucepan, bring all the ingredients except the pecans to a boil
over high heat.
- Add pecans, stir well, and reduce the heat to simmer. Cook the pecans for
10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the syrup has been well reduced.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the pecans to the baking dish.
- Bake the nuts for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring them about halfway through
the cooking time. When ready, the pecans will be dark brown and crunchy.
- Stir them a few more times, and transfer them to wax paper to cool.
If tightly covered, the pecans will keep at least a week.