Sweet and Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds from 1 (5 to 7 pound) pumpkin
- 5 tablespoons granulated
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
- Heat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut pumpkin open from the bottom, removing seeds with a long-handled spoon.
- Separate flesh from seeds and discard.
- Spread seeds on parchment in an even layer.
- Bake until dry, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl combine 3 tablespoons of the sugar, salt, cumin, cinnamon, ginger
- Heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add pumpkin seeds
and the 2 tablespoons sugar. Cook until sugar melts and the pumpkin seeds begin
to caramelize, about 45 to 60 seconds.
- Transfer to bowl with spices and stir well to coat. Let cool.
Makes about 1 cup.
These may be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.