Almond Cloud Cookies
Chewy-crisp and intensely almond-y, here's our version of the King Arthur
Bakery's best-selling cookie. This cookie is gluten-free!
- 10 ounces almond paste
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon extra-strong bitter almond oil
- Confectioners' sugar or glazing sugar, for topping
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment)
two baking sheets.
- Blend the almond paste, sugar, and salt until the mixture becomes uniformly
crumbly; this is best done in a stand mixer.
- Add the egg whites gradually, while mixing, to make a smooth paste.
- Stir in the flavorings.
- Scoop the dough by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared pans.
- Sprinkle the cookies heavily with confectioners' sugar, then use three
fingers to press an indentation into the center of each cookie.
- Bake the cookies for 20 to 25 minutes, until they're brown around the
- Remove them from the oven, and let them cool right on the pan.
Hands-on time: 15 to 20 min | Baking time: 20 to 25 min | Yield: 21 cookies
Recipe and photo credit: kingarthurflour.com