Chopped Eggs and Onions
- 3 to 5 tablespoons best-quality olive or avocado oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs, peeled and cut into eighths
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a medium skillet; add the sliced onions. Sauté
over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until rich golden brown. Salt and pepper
lightly and remove from the heat to cool.
- Scrape the sautéed onion and all the oil remaining in the skillet into a
wooden bowl, and chop coarsely. Add the eggs and raw onion, and continue to
chop until the mixture is well blended but not pasty. Mix in salt and lots of
pepper as you chop, or blend in the seasonings afterward with a fork.
- The mixture should hold together loosely; you will probably need to add
a bit more oil. Chill well, but remove from the refrigerator at least 15 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings