Mushroom Matzoh Lasagna
This recipe makes a great vegetarian entree for Passover. It was created by Louise
Fiszer, co-author of A Good Day for Salads.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 5 matzohs
- 1 cup jack cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Cook onions, garlic and mushrooms until soft,
about six minutes. Stir in tomatoes and oregano and simmer 10 minutes. Taste
for salt and pepper and set aside.
- Soften matzohs by holding under warm running water for a few seconds. Spread
two tablespoons tomato sauce on bottom of pan. Layer matzohs alternately with
mushroom-onion mixture and jack cheese ending with a layer of matzoh on top.
Pour remaining tomato sauce over all, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake
about 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let cool slightly and cut into squares to serve.