Passover Matzo Honey Cake
This has the texture of a sponge cake, but the flavor of a dense honey cake.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup matzo cake flour
- 1/2 cup potato flour (starch)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F . Line bottom of a 9-inch square baking pan with
- Beat egg yolks in large bowl until thick and lemon colored. Add sugar, 2
tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in honey, orange
juice, lemon rind and juice. Fold in matzo cake flour, then potato flour.
- Beat egg whites and salt in large clean bowl until stiff, but not dry, peaks
form. Gently fold whites into batter. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes
or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. (Center of cake will
- When cooled, turn cake out of pan; remove wax paper from bottom. Place cake,
top side up on serving plate. Drizzle with honey if you wish.