Passover Roast Chicken
- 3 matzos, broken into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, warmed
- 3/4 cup
dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) margarine, divided
- 1 medium
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup
PLANTERS Pecan Pieces, toasted
- 2 tablespoons matzo meal
- 1 roasting chicken
(about 5 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix broken matzos, chicken broth and apricots in medium bowl; set aside.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the margarine in large skillet. Add onion and celery;
cook until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Add matzo mixture; mix well.
- Add eggs, pecans and matzo meal; mix well.
- Rinse chicken; pat dry. Stuff chicken cavities with matzo mixture; close
cavities with skewers and string. Place, breast side up, on rack in baking pan;
brush with remaining 1 tablespoon margarine, melted. Sprinkle with thyme, salt
- Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until chicken is cooked through, basting occasionally.
- Serve with a hot steamed vegetable, such as broccoli.
How to Toast Nuts: Toasting nuts not only gives them a pleasing golden color
but also intensifies their flavor and adds crunch. To toast nuts, spread them in
single layer in shallow baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes or
until lightly toasted, stirring occasionally.
Nutritional Information: Calories 500; Total fat 30 g; Saturated fat 6 g;
Cholesterol 150 mg; Sodium 270 mg; Carbohydrate 21 g; Dietary fiber 3 g; Sugars
6 g; Protein 35 g
Vitamin A 20 %DV; Vitamin C 2 %DV; Calcium 4 %DV; Iron 15 %DV
Reprinted with permission from
>> Passover Recipes