Pasta with Maytag Blue and
Maytag White Cheddar
- 8 ounces Maytag Blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups Maytag White Cheddar, grated
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound penne or ziti pasta
- 1 pound
Italian sausage (4-5 links), casings removed
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 pickled Italian hot cherry peppers (from
the jar), cored, seeded, diced
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Lightly grease an 8 x 11-inch baking dish with olive oil.
- In large covered pan, bring 4 quarts salted water to a boil. Add pasta; cook
until just tender. Drain well and return to pan.
- In large skillet, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and heat. Add sausage; cook until
browned, breaking into bite-size pieces as it cooks. Remove from skillet when done.
Remove excess oil from skillet.
- Add garlic and cook until lightly brown.
- Add tomatoes;
cook at rapid simmer, breaking up tomatoes with spoon, until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Add sausage, diced hot cherry peppers and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese to tomato sauce.
Stir together. Pour over pasta; mix well and pour into baking dish, spreading evenly.
- Sprinkle with 8 ounces crumbled Maytag Blue Cheese, 1 1/2 cups grated Maytag White
Cheddar and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Heat broiler, placing rack 6 inches from broiler element.
- Place baking dish under
broiler until cheese melts and browns, checking often to be sure it does not burn.
- Serve immediately.
Source: Maytag Dairy Farms - catalog insert, February 2003