- 1 pound penne
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 2 cups tomato puree or canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vodka
- Salt to taste
- Hot red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- For the penne, bring at least 4 quarts of water to a boil with at least 1 heaping
tablespoon of salt.
- Meanwhile, over medium-low heat, cook the garlic in the olive oil for about 2
minutes, until soft but not browned.
- Add the tomato puree and the vodka. Bring to a simmer and let simmer briskly
for 3 minutes. (This cooks off the alcohol.)
- Season to taste with salt and hot pepper
flakes, over-seasoning slightly to account for the cream that will be added.
- Put the penne to cook and, while it is boiling, add the cream to the tomato sauce
and simmer for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Drain the pasta well, toss with the sauce and serve immediately.
Posted by jerseyjan at Recipe Goldmine May 20, 2001.
Source: used with permission of Arthur Schwartz